Total 1 - 3887843746
Wild Rumpus Sports
 

Anxiety, Forecast Temps High as Birkie Approaches

The elite men’s 51 k skate podium at the 2016 American Birkebeiner, when the course reached Main Street in Hayward with relative ease: winner David Norris (APU), runner-up Ivan Perrillat Boiteux (France) and Benoit Chauvet (France) in third. (Photo: Vince Rosetta)

By Gavin Kentch

With just over a week to go until the first marathon event of the 2017 American Birkebeiner, race officials are measuring ice thickness on Lake Hayward, groomers are taking protective action, and 13,000 skiers around the country are becoming amateur meteorologists.

First, the facts. The 29-kilometer Kortelopet race is currently scheduled for next Friday, Feb. 24. The 15 k Prince Haakon is set for that afternoon. The main event, the 44th American Birkebeiner, a 50 k freestyle or 55 k classic point-to-point race from Cable to Hayward, starts at 8:15 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 25.

The Birkie trail “is currently in good condition with a 4-8 [inch] solid base,” Nancy Knutson, marketing and communications director at the Birkie, wrote to FasterSkier on Thursday afternoon. (That’s closer to eight inches north of OO, at roughly the midway point of the trail, and closer to four inches at points south, Birkie officials wrote on Facebook earlier this week.) The entire Birkie trail closes to skiers effective midnight tonight until further notice. Lake ice at the end of the course is currently a healthy 16 to 20 inches.

Oh, and the weather is going to get somewhat warm between now and race day.

Here’s the extended forecast for Cable from the Weather Underground site:

Weather Underground extended forecast screenshot for Cable.

Here’s the comparable forecast for Hayward from the ECMWF European model, showing predicted weather and precipitation for the afternoon of each day:

ECMWF European model extended forecast screenshot for Hayward.

While forecasts that far in advance are notoriously unreliable, skiers nonetheless have good reason to be concerned about the potential viability of racing in northern Wisconsin on either or both of next Thursday or Friday.

“Hayward, we have a problem” Birkie aficionado Ari Ofsevit titled a post on his blog on Wednesday of this week. (Ofsevit’s blog, http://birkieguide.com/, promises to be required reading over the next week. Ofsevit is an enthusiastic elite-wave skier and Birkie supporter whose site has no official affiliation with the race.)

Ofsevit explained some of his predictions, and the models he was looking at, in a Thursday email to FasterSkier. “It’s going to be real warm,” he wrote. “There’s some base, but it’s not as much as most years.” He continued, “I fear for south-facing hills. It’s still better than rain, though. That’s what sunk the Birkie in 2000: two-foot deep puddles at low points on the trail.”

Summarizing hours spent poring over weather models, Ofsevit wrote, “The good news: the models have a strong signal for a snowstorm next Friday. 6 of the past 8 model runs have shown a strong (6″+) snowstorm next Thursday into Friday. That would be nothing short of a miracle. This will be what to watch.”

So what does he predict? “All in all, I’d say there’s a 40% chance that there’s enough snow on the course for a full race, and a 60% chance there’s enough at least to OO (and maybe back). I think there’s a 50% chance that there’s a snowstorm on Friday. Assuming these are independent (that warmth doesn’t mean snow or not) there’s a 20% chance the race is canceled, a 10% chance the race is significantly shortened and a 70% chance the race is able to run the full course. This is mostly dependent on the snowstorm. And I’m pulling these numbers out of my behind.”

For those of you wanting to play with the data yourselves, Ofsevit explains that “there are a lot” of weather models out there. “The three big ones are the GFS (American model), ECMWF (European model) and CMC (Canadian model) which go out 10-16 days. The GFS and CMC have output here. The Euro is much more proprietary, but you can see model output here. They come out twice a day (4x per day for the GFS) and I’ll be tracking them very frequently in the next week.”

Ofsevit promises frequent updates on this topic over the next week.

Speaking on behalf of the Birkie, Knutson wrote that, “With warmer weather forecast for the coming days, we’re continually monitoring conditions and taking necessary actions to preserve the trail as best we can for race week.” The closure of the entire Birkie Trail at midnight tonight is the most obvious such response. (The Birkie Ridge loop trails will remain open, as well as myriad other trails in the greater Cable area. Those trails are not hoping to host thousands of skiers next week.)

As of Thursday afternoon, race officials “have not made any changes to our Birkie Week plans,” Knutson wrote. But they are “discussing possible contingencies should they be needed. There are any number of contingencies potentially in play depending on what situation, if any, presents itself. For now, it’s full steam ahead!”

(Ofsevit has speculated about alternate possibilities, including a scenario in which “the trail will be skiable north of OO and not to the south. The new Classic trail gives the option of turning the race back at OO and finishing it in Cable, although this would be operationally difficult, it may be an option. We’d certainly miss out on the Hayward finish, but if it’s not skiable and the ice isn’t safe.”)

So what’s next? Knutson concluded, “As always, the safety of our participants is first and foremost in our minds, followed by our goal of creating the best possible participant experience for all. … We hope Mother nature has good things in store for us and we will address changing weather conditions and what that means to Birkie events, if anything, as Birkie week draws nearer. Given the infrastructure it takes to prepare for 13,000 skiers, including the construction of the International Bridge, we need about 4 days to make it all happen. If we find ourselves in a position where we need to adjust event plans, we will share the update by Tuesday afternoon at the latest.”

Knutson promised “daily briefings” at the main Birkie webpage, the event’s Facebook page, and their Twitter feed for interested skiers. Which probably includes around 13,000 people right about now.

Gjerdalen, Smutná Win Dobbiaco-Cortina; Duvillard, Gräfnings Top La Transjurassienne

— The seventh event of the Ski Classics tour took place last Saturday, Feb. 11, at the Gran Fondo Dobbiaco-Cortina in Italy. In the men’s 50-kilometer classic race, Petter Eliassen (Team Leaseplan) returned to racing and set a fast pace from the start. Joining Eliassen in the lead pack were Tord Asle Gjerdalen (Team Santander) and Morten Eide Pedersen (Team BN Bank). After the longest climb on the course, Eliassen and Gjerdalen were able to break away to battle for the victory. The last 10 k of the course were downhill, which led straight into the stadium at Fiames. At the finish line, Gjerdalen was able to outstretch Eliassen by 0.4 seconds to claim his third victory of the 2016/2017 Ski Classics season with a time of 2:04:59.3 hours. Pedersen (+1:43.1) was able to beat out his surging teammate Øystein Pettersen (+1:44.3) for third place on the podium. Gjerdalen continues to hold the yellow bib as the Ski…

Olex Ends 30-Year German Drought at König Ludwig Lauf

After warmer than usual temperatures and rain it was uncertain if the fourth stop of the Worldloppet circuit would happen or not on Sunday, Feb. 5. The organizers of the 44th König Ludwig Lauf in Oberammergau, Germany, able to work all night in order to get the conditions ready for the classic and freestyle races, which were shortened from 50 kilometers to 38 k. After Germany had been without a homegrown winner in the race for 30 years, Max Olex, of the Adidas XCS-Team (who previously raced at the University of Alaska Fairbanks), was able to end the drought in the elite men’s freestyle race, outlasting Damien Tarantola (Haute-Savoie Nordic Team) and Buttin Bastien (Haute-Savoie Nordic Team) in a photo finish. Olex (1:26:20.6) was able to outlunge Tarantola (+0.1) and Bastien (+0.8). Toni Livers (Team Gel Rossignol) was leading on the final uphill in front of the pack of 20 men, but a crash on the downhill forced him to…

Smutná Holds Off Norgren; Gjerdalen Wins Third Marcialonga

The sixth race in the Ski Classic series took place on Sunday, Jan. 29, with the 44th annual Marcialonga, a 57-kilometer classic race (this year from Mozzin to Cavalese, Italy).  The race was orginally suppoed to be 70k, but was shortened due to low snow. In the women’s race, Britta Johansson Norgen of Team Lager 157, and Katerina Smutná (Team Santander) broke away from the group early and were able to keep up the pace until the finish. Smutná was able to outlast Norgen at the finish to beat her by 0.8 seconds, taking the win in 2:22:46.4 hours. Sara Lindborg (+4:22.2) of Team Serneke rounded out the podium. Norgren had a game plan to keep a fast pace throughout the whole race so the only person that would be able to follow her was Smutná. She was able to achieve that goal, but just didn’t have enough power at the end to defend her 2016 Marcialonga title….

France Dominates Dolomitenlauf, FIS Worldloppet Cup Opener

The 43rd Dolomitenlauf opened the FIS Worldloppet Cup season last weekend in Obertilliach, Austria. This was originally scheduled to be the second stage of the International Ski Federation (FIS) marathon circuit, however the first stage at La Foulée Blanche in France was canceled earlier this month. Conditions were reported as ideal with sunshine. On the men’s side, eight out of the top 10 places all went to French skiers, with the top 10 consisting of four teams and the 10th place finisher just 30 seconds behind the winner.  Ivan Perrillat-Boiteux of the Haute-Savoie Nordic Team took the overall win in 1:39:02.8, outlasting Candide Pralong (Team GEL Interim Rossignol) by 2.2 seconds.  Perillat-Boiteux’s teammate, Loïc Guigonnet finished third (+9.9), before first-time FIS Marathon Cup competitor Kari Varis of Finland (+11.2). “Our team is very strong this season and I am happy to have this team,” Perrillat-Boiteux said, according to a FIS Worldloppet Cup press release. “I also love the competition with the Rossignol team. Of course, I am happy about…

Nygaard, Rocheva Take Vasaloppet China; Fritz Top American

Andreas Nygaard (Team Santander) and Olga Rocheva (Russian Marathon Team) took the overall victories in the Vasaloppet China, a 50-kilometer classic mass start race that covered two 25 k laps through Jingyuetan Park in Changchun, China, earlier Wednesday. The race also doubled as Stage 3 of the six-stage China Tour de Ski. Lauren Fritz (APU) placed 18th to lead the four American skiers competing in the Tour. At the front of the pack the women’s race was all Rocheva, who won in 2:29:01, nearly two minutes over Swedish skier Britta Johansson Norgren (Team Lager 157). The two were together through a halfway sprint at 25 k, according to a Visma Ski Classics press release, at which point Rocheva sped up to take the sprint, then continued her acceleration to open a gap that she kept all the way to the finish. Norgren ultimately crossed the line 1:43 back of Rocheva….

Gjerdalen, Norgren Win La Sgambeda

The Visma Ski Classics series continued this past weekend in Livigno, Italy, with the first marathon of the season, La Sgambeda. The conditions were perfect as a cold night before ensured a hard surface for skiers and the sunshine on race day guaranteed for a great 30-kilometer classic race. Both the men’s and women’s races ended with a sprint to the line. In the men’s competition, the lead group stayed together until the final climb. There, Norway’s Tord Asle Gjerdalen (Team Santander) and Russia’s Ilya Chernousov (Team Pioneer Investment) passed Norway’s Petter Eliassen (Team LeasePlan Go), who had led most of the race. Gjerdalen and Chernousov came to the finish neck and neck, but Gjerdalen was able to take the win by 1.3 seconds. Eliassen, who won last week, finished third, 2.7 seconds behind the winner. “It was a tough race and I just tried to stay behind John Kristian Dahl and let Petter do all the work,”…

Eliassen, Smutná Kick Off Ski Classics with Prologue Win

The seventh season of the Visma Ski Classics officially began this past weekend with the 8-kilometer prologue on Sunday in Pontresina, Switzerland. The starting order was reversed so the winners of last season’s prologue started first. This time around, last year’s last-place finishers Team Gel Intérim/Rossignol took first. The individual races both on the men and women side came down to the wire. In the men’s race, last year’s overall Ski Classics champion Petter Eliasson of Team LeasePlan Go started off slow and was 12 seconds out of first at the first timing point, but was able to pick it up the second half and claim the overall victory in 19:42.66 minutes. He beat Bastien Poirrier (Team Gel Intérim/Rossignol) by 8.53 seconds for the win. “The plan was to start off easy so I would have more energy for the final two laps,” he said in a TV interview with NRK. “I hoped that my conditioning would be better this weekend and…

Announcing Inaugural CXC Marathon Cup Winners

(Press release) Six marathon events across three states, with grueling courses, made up the inaugural CXC Marathon Cup series. Weekend after weekend skiers were challenged not only by the length and terrain of each marathon, but everything in between, including: frigid and warm temperatures, challenging snow conditions, and the fatigue of skiing six marathons in a little over two months. With strength, determination and endless endurance, two skiers persevered through the challenges of the marathon series to claim the coveted CXC Marathon Cup overall title, CXC Team athletes Chris Pappathopoulos and Natalia Naryshkina. The inaugural year of the CXC Marathon Cup could not have been possible, without the hundreds of event organizers who worked hard to run these great events. We want to recognize them for their efforts and crown these events with the CXC Marathon Cup Event Awards which include: Best Overall Event, Best Grooming, Most Heroic Effort and Best Website. “The marathon…

FIS Worldloppet Cup and Visma Ski Classics Conclude

Nice ending of the @skiclassics season with another beauiful ski on the mountains around @valadalensfjallstation. 2nd place at #arefjallsloppet behind Justyna which even got me into 2nd overall. #teamexspirit #seasonend #finalclimb #killingmesoftly A photo posted by Seraina Boner (@serainabonerski) on Apr 3, 2016 at 10:34am PDT The Visma Ski Classics series wrapped up on Saturday with the 63 k Årefjällsloppet in Sweden, which had to be partially relocated due to snow conditions; the finish line was moved from Åre to Edsåsdalen. In the men’s race a group of eight were together almost to the finish, when Johan Kjølstad and John Kristian Dahl of Team United Bakeries were able to pull away. Kjølstad took the win 5.79 seconds ahead of Dahl, with Petter Eliassen of Team LeasePlan Go taking third +8.87. Daniel Richardsson of Team Exspirit was the top Swede in fourth, +12.91. “That was it hard work in the mountains and I [was…